Thursday, December 18, 2008

A History of Milky Jamz, Part I

Since I've existed for 30 years now, what better time to do a musical retrospective of my life? You're probably wondering how the 4th best DJ in Somerset County, NJ, got to be the penultimate tastemaker he is today. So let's take a chronological (or, as I remember them) trip through my musical history...

Age 1, 1979

Song: Cotton-Eyed Joe - Al Dean & The All-Stars
Yes, the song you know today as one of the most obnoxious remixes ever recorded is actually a classic country song, this Al Dean version being one of the definitive versions. Somewhere there is Super 8 footage of me dancing to this in my diapers, as it was my number one jam from ages 1-3. I still have the original 7" record somewhere, too.
Age 2, 1980
Song: King Tut - Steve Martin
Coming in a close second for favorite dance jam of my early years was this Steve Martin classic, originally performed on Saturday Night Live. There is also film of me dancing to this in an attic somewhere.
king tut

Age 4, 1982
Cassette tape: Lionel Richie - Lionel Richie
There were a few cassette tapes I would rock so hard, that the tape would wear out and my mom would have to get me a new copy. This was the first.

No comments: