Tuesday, January 22, 2008

From Brooklyn to Bordentown, part III

Ah, Saturday night at the Elks Lodge in Bordentown, NJ. Nothing more glamorous for a working DJ such as myself. After two nights indulging in mid-to-late 20's yoof culture, you'd think a night with some respectable, well-mannered adults would be a welcome respite from the insanity of binge-drinking twentysomethings.

I always hold older people in high regard. "Respect the elders" is one of the mantras of celebrated freeform radio host Vin Scelsa, and what Vin says, goes. Part of being a DJ is being cordial and maintaining a sunny disposition, and respecting your audience, and more often than not, those of adult age (read: your parents' age) are very respectful and cordial in return. However, some of the "adult" members of the celebrated Elks Lodge don't give a flip about being nice.

Whereas rudeness at the Harvest Moon would be someone asking me for the 40th time when their song is up, and rudeness at Last Exit would be some snot-nose loser from Dayton, Ohio who pretends he's "from" Brooklyn, NY telling me I suck, rudeness here in Bordentown is some guy literally grabbing the microphone out of my hands while I'm singing... because I'm singing "his song". Then all of his buddies laughing about it. Cue a clip of Michelle Taner saying, "how rude!"

Again, this is the exception, not the norm. The Elks are great people, and my only gripe would be that I'd expect a "social club" to be a little more rollicking on a Saturday night, but maybe that's because they live in Bordentown, which is neither a suburb of New York or Philadelphia, just some place out in the sticks where there are still rude mofo's, and people still love karaoke.

3 comments:

Will said...

+2 Points

Full House reference

Snack said...

I love the 3 types of rudeness in our tri state area.

Don said...

so what song was it? if it was "sister christian", i'm going to flip my shit