Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics...

Recently, on the internet site reddit.com, I had commented on a story regarding a man who had recently been detained at JFK International Airport after returning from "a brief vacation to Syria". It seems he feels he was treated unfairly by the Department of Homeland Security. While I have a decidely liberal conscience, I found my views on this story differed greatly than with those who also peruse Reddit, who overwhelmingly sympathized with this man's plight.

Is it just me? Shouldn't I be the one who's getting older and grumpier about government services? Isn't complaining about being detained at the airport the equivalent of complaining about long lines at the Division of Motor Vehicles?

And isn't anyone else slightly relieved that someone who just went on a "brief vacation to Syria", a country which has numerous travel advisories issued by the CIA and Department of Interior, a haven for terrorists and overall haven for Anti-U.S. sentiment, would be detained upon re-entering this country? Wouldn't it be stupid to expect to NOT be detained?

NHS agent: So, what were you doing in Syria sir?
Stupid Idiot Traveler: Aw, just hangin' with some friends, checkin' out some clubs, ya know??!!
NHS agent: I'm going to have to detain you for further questioning.
Stupid Idiot Traveler: Awww man! Totally bogus! this is totally infringing on my rights and whatnot!!

Well, someone responded to my sentiments saying I was the douchebag, which is usually true.
But I'm starting to think most of the people who read reddit are just a bunch of overly idealistic liberal twats.

2 comments:

Don said...

i read the same story. what struck me is that yes, the officials did sound like d-bags. however, never in the article did anyone's rights get infringed upon. never.

we do have rights, and it is a bad, bad thing to let the government deny us those rights. it is important to make the distinction, though, that "convenience" is not one of those rights.

Unknown said...

"...I had commented on a story regarding a man..."

I too read the same story and I was shocked that they didn't hold that "man" even longer. After all, any "man" who would write "his" story under the author name of Emily Feder deserves to be detained. And, in his story he recounts that one of the Homeland Security guards derisively referred to him as "the American girl". Oh wait... Never mind. I guess Emily Feder actually is a woman, not a man as you claimed. So, Milkytown 3D and commentator "Don" think that Emily Feder, who was referred to as "the American girl" in her story, is a man. Hmmm... Now I'll have to make a Special Olympics page on my website for you two.