Tuesday, June 3, 2008

It's Got What Plants Crave!

A couple years ago, Mike Judge (creator/writer/producer of Beavis & Butt-head and Office Space), released his latest movie, "Idiocracy", to little fanfare (other than the fact that it was "a new movie by the guy who did Office Space). The more I watch this movie, the more I come to realize it's brilliance. [IMDB link]. Basically, Luke Wilson is a low-level military officer who is used in a government experiment which goes awry. He wakes up 500 years in the future to a society where the trailer-trash morons of the world have out-bred the intelligent, and the average IQ has been reduced significantly. There's a lot of social commentary, a lot of which deals with the saturation of advertising in our lives. So one of the problems vexing society in this movie is "the drought". People can't figure out why plants won't grow, even though they irrigate their soil with "Brawndo - The Thirst Mutilator", a sports-energy drink in the style of Gatorade. Brawndo's principal advertising point is "electrolytes", and society has been conditioned to believe that Brawndo is superior to water, as "it's got what plants crave! It's got electrolytes!".

Oh boy, today I see Tiger Woods has his own line of Gatorade product. And what does it have?
25% MORE ELECTROLYTES! I had no idea golfers got so dehyrdated!!! John Daly needs electrolytes, stat!


I guess this is only really funny if you have seen and enjoy the movie Idiocracy. It makes me laugh, but in a way, it's kind of scary. Anyhoo, you can also buy Brawndo now too, from the hysterical Brawndo website. I think I'll just pick up a t-shirt.

1 comment:

Graber said...

the first 20 minutes of that movie are great. and then the rest makes me want to slit my wrists like that emo kid at the grad party.